Photo by Getty Images on iStock

Using Your PLN for Growth: 

I actively use my Personal Learning Network (PLN) to enhance my professional growth and learning, particularly in exploring how my Bachelor of Commerce degree can open doors to various career paths such as real estate, interior design, marketing/entrepreneurship, and graphic design. My PLN provides valuable access to influential individuals in my areas of interest and allows me to join relevant communities. These connections are crucial for obtaining information, seeking advice, and building relationships that can lead to internships and co-op opportunities.

Among the social media platforms, I find LinkedIn and Instagram to be the most engaging and informative for expanding my PLN. LinkedIn is particularly valuable for students like myself. It enables us to showcase our accomplishments, career aspirations, and interests in specific companies, making it easier for others to understand our skills and potential contributions. The platform also offers opportunities to join professional groups, connect with industry leaders, stay updated on career events, and explore job postings.

Photo by Maddy Osman on Kinsta

Instagram complements this by providing access to accounts that offer insightful advice through posts, livestreams, and reels. This platform helps me stay informed about industry trends and best practices while also engaging with a broader community of professionals and influencers. Together, these platforms enhance my ability to gather resources, seek guidance, and collaborate with peers effectively.

Engaging with Your Community: 

Engaging more deeply in my PLN community is a goal I’m actively working on, aiming to feel more comfortable sharing and discussing my ideas online while offering valuable content and support to peers. Recently, I’ve started to immerse myself in two distinct communities associated with the University of Victoria.

First, I’ve been engaging with the UVic Real Estate Club. I’ve actively participated in their online polls, read their posts, and kept up with their weekly updates. I plan to join this club once it opens for new members in September, as I have a strong interest in real estate and believe I can contribute valuable content and support to advance the club’s goals. In the meantime, I’m committed to deepening my understanding of this community by engaging with their content and participating in their weekly activities.

Photo by UVic Real Estate

The second community I’m aiming to join is the JDC West club. This club represents a fantastic opportunity for me to apply my business degree skills and be part of a team that competes with other business schools across Canada. Although they are not currently accepting new members, I am staying engaged by participating in their Instagram activities and learning more about the club’s values and beliefs. My goal is to become a strong advocate for their team and contribute meaningfully when the opportunity arises.

To learn more about JDCWest’s business competition across Canada click here!

Building a Supportive PLN: 

To build a supportive PLN, I am committed to staying open and connected with communities that align with my professional interests and goals. Here’s is a few steps I have taken and also plan to approach:

• Engage Actively with Relevant Communities: I seek out and engage with communities that reflect my career aspirations. This involvement helps me gain valuable advice from influential people in my areas of interest. By participating in discussions, attending events, and contributing to these groups, I can build reciprocal relationships and advance my professional development.
  • Showcase My Skills and Experience: I continuously highlight my skills, knowledge, and experiences gained from my studies, past work, and research. This visibility helps potential connections understand my capabilities and how I might contribute to their networks, projects, or communities.
  • Initiate Conversations with Network Connections: I actively connect with my parents’ friends and other professionals who share similar career goals by inquiring about their experiences, understanding what their companies are looking for, and exploring potential connections. By having these conversations, I’ve gathered valuable insights and support, helping me build a more supportive PLN and establish influential connections that could play a significant role in shaping my future. Additionally, this approach aids in increasing my visibility within the professional community and expanding my PLN.

By following these steps, I ensure that my PLN remains a dynamic and supportive network that contributes to my growth and success in my chosen field.

Cara Mia Dorrian from Participate Learning demonstrates the importance of educators wanting to build a PLN and what strategies to follow that can help create a professional network.

Expanding Your PLN: 

My long-term goals for my PLN include becoming more open in sharing and engaging with various communities while showcasing my skills and knowledge to relevant professional circles. I aim to enhance my presence in areas of interest and connect with potential career communities. I plan to also look into joining the JDCWest and Real Estate Club that the Gustavson School of Business has to offer as these are two great communities that can help bond relationships with my fellow graduating class.

To expand my network and include international contacts and experts in specific fields, I plan to pursue the Gustavson School of Business international exchange program during my fourth year at the University of Victoria. This experience will allow me to explore business practices outside of Canada and provide opportunities to build international contacts across diverse areas of expertise. By participating in this program, my PLN will become more diverse and supportive, offering insights into business from multiple perspectives and fostering relationships that can help expand my network, gain valuable experience, and potentially open doors to job opportunities.